Bu-lat-lat (boo-lat-lat) verb: to search, probe, investigate, inquire; to unearth facts

Vol. IV,    No. 41      November 14 - 20, 2004      Quezon City, Philippines

HOME

ARCHIVE

CONTACT

RESOURCES

ABOUT BULATLAT

www.bulatlat.com

www.bulatlat.net

www.bulatlat.org

Google

Web Bulatlat

READER FEEDBACK

(We encourage readers to dialogue with us. Email us your letters complaints, corrections, clarifications, etc.)

Join Bulatlat's mailing list

DEMOCRATIC SPACE

(Email us your letters statements, press releases,  manifestos, etc.)

For turning the screws on hot issues, Bulatlat has been awarded the Golden Tornillo Award.

Iskandalo Cafe

Copyright 2004 Bulatlat
bulatlat@gmail.com

Belgian Doctor Treads Paths Least Traveled

In one ironic twist, while many of the country’s medical doctors are leaving for abroad for lack of better career opportunities at home, one foreign doctor – a Belgian – has been in the country as a medical volunteer. He stayed for eight years and he leaves some valuable lessons not only to Filipinos doctors but health authorities as well.

BY RONALYN V. OLEA
Bulatlat

De Ceukelaire

In one ironic twist, while many of the country’s medical doctors are leaving for abroad for lack of better career opportunities at home, one foreign doctor – a Belgian – has been in the country as a medical volunteer. He stayed for eight years and he leaves some valuable lessons not only to Filipinos doctors but health authorities as well.

Wim De Ceukelaire, a Belgian doctor, came to the Philippines in January 1996.  He was sent by New World, a non-government organization supporting struggles of different countries in Asia and Africa for food security.

In his eight years of stay in the Philippines, Wim, as friends and colleagues would call him, has seen the country as one of the best examples of the negative impact of globalization on health.  “[The Philippines is] remodeling to the needs of rich countries,” he told Bulatlat in an interview last week. “Rich countries need cheaply trained but highly qualified doctors, nurses and other health professionals.  Pharmaceutical transnational corporations (TNCs) need market.”

He said that medicines in the Philippines are one of the most expensive in Asia, second only to Japan.  The country, he said, is also among the top five countries exporting cheap labor of health professionals.

Witness

From the year he stepped foot on the Philippines in 1996, the Belgian doctor, who’s 36, worked for the Council for Health and Development (CHD), a national organization of community-based health programs (CBHPs) until 2001.  Wim helped in CHD’s research work and international networking.  He joined medical missions and trainings and visited community based health programs (CBHP) all over the country.

Looking back, Wim said, “Providing services is important. [But] my role as a witness is even more important.  It strengthens the morale of the people, signifies to those in power and to the big companies that people have support even from other countries.”

Community-based health programs

Wim has seen the work of the CBHPs as unique. “The approach of the CBHPs strongly asserts that health is in the hands of the people, not dependent on TNCs, high technology or highly qualified doctors.  The people can take charge of most of their health needs.”  He mentioned some basic requirements to enable people to manage their health needs. “The people must be united, organized.  They should analyze their health situation in the right context.”

To illustrate, he cited the health problems of the children related to malnutrition. Wim said that the right answer to malnutrition is not food supplements.  “The right answer is basically the improvement of livelihood of the people … When you speak of livelihood, you’re talking about land ownership and the problems of high costs of farming inputs, usury, among others.”

He said health problems are analyzed in a comprehensive way, within social and economic contexts.  “[From there, the people] unite and take action accordingly.”

“People themselves take charge of their development, their food security, their health or economic progress.  That is the real meaning of community-based,” he said. While other non-government organizations are claiming they are grassroots-oriented, he said it was just a flavoring. 

Among the peasants

While still working for the CHD, Wim also did work for the Kilusang Magbubukid ng Pilipinas (KMP), a national organization of peasants.  “I saw the importance of working with the rural community.” 

He was involved in strengthening peasant organizations and research work, some of which were health-related like studies on the effects of genetically-modified organisms (GMOs) and pesticides.

“I’ve learned most from the ordinary people, from sharings with farmers, indigenous [people],” Wim continued.

Wim related an incident where he was greeted by the indigenous people with in one barrio, “Dati, galit na galit ako sa mga puti.” (Before, I’m very angry with the white people.)”  He said he has learned more from them about colonialism, imperialism than from books.

At the KMP, Wim said he learned so much.  “I’m very proud that I had discussions with Ka Daning and Ka Paeng,” he said of the two peasant leaders. “The way they analyze problems is so sharp—GMOs, pesticides, high-breed rice, trade liberalization.  Everything I cannot achieve despite my supposed scientific background and years in the university.  Ka Paeng is a scientist even though he did not finish college.  Alam niya lahat. (He knows everything) and I have to read many books on GMOs to keep up with him.”

Ka Daning Ramos is the current KMP chair while Ka Paeng Mariano, who also served as KMP chair, is now AnakPawis representative in Congress.

Besides Ka Daning and Ka Paeng, Wim said he had met so many interesting and inspiring people.  “Ka Dan Vizmanos who was proud that he was born on the same year as Che Guevarra.  He is already part of Philippine history. EdVil (Prof. Edilberto Villegas), Rey Casambre, mga matatanda (older people) who already earned their mark in Philippine history.“ He said he was able to discuss with them political and economic problems in the Philippines.  Those he mentioned are fellows of the Center for Anti-Imperialist Studies (CAIS).

Mindanao

Asked what place he likes best in the Philippines, Wim answered, “So many. It’s a very beautiful country.  In general, Mindanao is my favorite.”  He explained that his love for Mindanao stems not only from the beauty of its natural resources but also because of its people.  “It is like a melting pot.  Foreigners are easily accepted.”

Wim believes though that in Manila, people know so little about what’s happening in Mindanao. 

He said he has been in Pikit, North Cotabato twice.  The first time was in 1998 during the major offensives of the AFP against the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF).  Wim went to Camp Rajamuda and found it was not a military camp at all. “Rajamuda is just a barangay (village) with school building, houses, palengke (market). But we are made to believe it’s a military target.” 

In 2003, he also went to Buliok Complex.  Again, he said, “There is no such thing as Buliok Complex…no military installations, just another barangay.”  He said that what people see on television, read in papers is not always the truth.”

He recounted that in Buliok, some media people were saying, “We are sorry but we are sure it won’t get through Manila.” Wim deems they practice self-censorship.  “I don’t blame them.  They know their editors will kill their stories.”

Significant experience

Wim recounted a fact finding and medical mission in a community of B’laan, indigenous people in South Cotabato, sometime in late 1996.  It was his first encounter with victims of human rights violations. The area was being claimed by the Western Mining Corporation, an Australian firm, and the AFP was protecting the company’s interest.

Wim said, “They knew exactly what the military took away from them, how many plates, spoons.  Nagtaka ako kung bakit. (I was surprised why) I realized that’s all they have.”

“In hindsight, it was even more significant for me. The mining company pulled out two or three years later because of the resistance of the people.  Our efforts, especially of the B’laan people, were not in vain.  It was a sad experience but had a happy ending.”

International solidarity

Since 2001 until before leaving the Philippines last week, Wim served as the country representative of New World and International Action for Liberation (Intal).  Intal is focused on health. 

He coordinated partnerships, solidarity work.  Every two weeks, he would dispatch news briefs on the Philippines. 

He would also email a monthly newsletter, with links for people who want to know more.  He said some articles were taken from Bulatlat.

These publications are read by people in Belgium and the Netherlands who are interested in the Philippines.

Pinoy culture

During his stay, he does not think he acquired any trait of Pinoy culture.  He related that last year, there was a balut- eating contest for non-Filipinos. “I just finished the duck egg’s soup.”

Wim said that in the community though, he just eats what they serve.  “Rice with salt, there’s nothing else.  It’s a good experience after all to eat rice and salt once in a while… to remind us that there are people who do not have any other ulam (viand) but asin (salt).”

Wim also appreciates the Filipinos’ happy disposition, “European culture is actually the opposite.  Even in the best of circumstances, what is seen there are the weaknesses, the bad side.  Dito baligtad (Here, it’s the other way around).  Even if everything looks black, people will find a bright spot somewhere.”

He admitted that in the beginning of his stay, it was very hard for him.  When he was first asked,“Saan ka galing?”  (Where did you come from?) His first reaction was, “Why do you want to know?”

Before eating, his officemates would ask, “Anong ulam mo?” (What’s your viand). “People decide whose ulam they will collectivize.  I just find someone eating on my plate.”

The People’s movement

“Since 1996, I have only seen the advance of the people’s movement.  Pataas nang pataas. (Ever advancing)…  I witnessed the expansion of people’s organizations and other manifestations of the growth of the people’s movement.  We even have progressive congressmen today.” 

Wim said with certainty, “In the near future, if the progressive movement builds further on that, there will be major developments here that I’m going to miss.  The people’s movement is stronger after ousting Estrada in 2001.  There will be defining moments in Philippine history and the people’s movement will have a significant role.  I will monitor that, of course.  I know what I’ll miss.” Bulatlat 

BACK TO TOP ■  PRINTER-FRIENDLY VERSION  ■   COMMENT

© 2004 Bulatlat  Alipato Publications

Permission is granted to reprint or redistribute this article, provided its author/s and Bulatlat are properly credited and notified.