Bu-lat-lat (boo-lat-lat) verb: to search, probe, investigate, inquire; to unearth facts

Vol. V,    No. 6      March 12 - 19, 2005      Quezon City, Philippines

HOME

ARCHIVE

CONTACT

RESOURCES

ABOUT BULATLAT

www.bulatlat.com

www.bulatlat.net

www.bulatlat.org

Google

Web Bulatlat

READER FEEDBACK

(We encourage readers to dialogue with us. Email us your letters complaints, corrections, clarifications, etc.)

Join Bulatlat's mailing list

DEMOCRATIC SPACE

(Email us your letters statements, press releases,  manifestos, etc.)

For turning the screws on hot issues, Bulatlat has been awarded the Golden Tornillo Award.

Iskandalo Cafe

Copyright 2004 Bulatlat
bulatlat@gmail.com

There Must Be Punitive Actions Against the AFP

BY Rep. Satur C. Ocampo
Bayan Muna, Party-List
Privilege Speech
House of Representatives

I rise on a question of personal and collective privilege in light of the recent spate of killings and abductions of members of my party, Bayan Muna and those of my fellow Party-List Representatives in the Anakpawis and Gabriela Women’s Party. There is Mr. Speaker, distinguished colleagues, a seemingly grave danger even to the lives of at least four of the present Party-List Representatives, namely: Representatives Teodoro Casiño, Rafael Mariano, Liza Maza and this Representation.

Why do I conclude this threat is impending? In the first week of March, there has been a series of military actions against members of our parties. On the first day of March, four members of the Gabriela Women’s Party were accosted and arrested by soldiers of the Philippine Army, not by members of the Philippine National Police (PNP) who are properly authorized to do such arrests,  in the town of Sampaloc, Quezon.The four members of the Gabriela Women’s Party are Leonila Manalo, Nancy Elle, Aileen Ramos and Miralyn Gamba. Only their alertness in having boarded a jeepney followed by the soldiers and seeking recourse to the protection of the PNP in Sampaloc prevented them from being carted away to a military camp. There was no warrant of arrest and, subsequently, they were freed without any charges filed against them.

On the 3rd  of March in Tarlac, in Barangay Paraiso of Tarlac City, Bayan Muna leader and number two councilor of Tarlac City, Abelardo Ladera, was murdered in cold blood at past 1pm, while he was purchasing spare parts for his jeep. On the same afternoon another Bayan Muna leader and the former secretary general of Bagong Alyansang Makabayan – Nueva Ecija, Danilo Macapagal, was abducted by armed men and forcibly made to board a van that sped away. To this day Mr. Macapagal has not been located.
On the 6th of this month, a company-sized formation of the 63rd  Infantry Battalion commanded by Col. Manuelito Uzi under the 803rd Infantry Brigade commanded by Col. Bernardo de Luna in Catarman, Samar, staked out before the headquarters of the Bayan Muna-Northern Samar headquarters, in an apparent effort to terrorize or threaten the members of Bayan Muna in that province who were protesting the deployment of military troops in the town of Catubig. And on the following day, the seventh of this month, in the Province of Zambales, two army soldiers from the 24th Infantry Battalion arrested Mer Dizon, the chairman of the provincial chapter of Anakpawis, who is now in detention in the Iba Provincial Jail.

In Central Luzon, Mr. Speaker, this renewed political repression h as already resulted in 11 killings and five abductions or disappearances, only from January to the first week of March. This occurred in the provinces of Bulacan, Pampanga, Nueve Ecija, Tarlac, Aurora and Bataan. Apparently, Mr. Speaker, what happened in Mindoro in the years 2001-2003 where several killings, abduction and disappearances occurred, is now a threatening phenomenon in Central Luzon and also beginning to spread in the provinces of Quezon, Laguna and Batangas in Southern Tagalog.

This is not the first time, Mr. Speaker, that I stand up in this Chamber to make similar denunciations of political repression against our political party and the people’s organizations supportive of our party. In the 12th Congress, this august Body approved a resolution that led the House Committee on Human Rights to make an investigation in the series of killings of more than 40 members of Bayan Muna over a period of almost three years. There was an investigation and there were recommendations by the committee, among them the freezing of the promotion of Col. Jovito Palparan, who was tagged as the “butcher of Mindoro”. Apparently, the recommendation of the committee had fallen on deaf ears, there was no positive action. Instead, Col. Palparan was subsequently promoted to brigadier general. And after his stint as the Chief of military contingent sent to Iraq, which was withdrawn to save the life of overseas Filipino worker Angelo de la Cruz, he has been promoted to head the 8th Infantry Division in Samar. It is his units that were harassing now the people at the headquarters of Bayan Muna in Catarman.

The questions that I raise again, Mr. Speaker are: First, is the government, this present government, determined to illegalize Bayan Muna. Anakpawis and Gabriela Women’s Party, or is it set on stopping the growth and influence of our parties as defenders and advocates of the people’s interest and welfare in this legislature and through the democratic mass movement?

Second, is it the government’s policy to make no distinction between the underground revolutionary movement and the aboveground legal democratic mass movement, as the Armed Forces of the Philippines and the Philippine National Police blatantly do, and thus consider as legitimate targets for armed attack or physical elimination both those underground and those aboveground?

Third, have the Armed Forces operating units been given police powers to make arrests, searches, and seizures on civilians? If so, since when and on what legal basis was this power given to them? In so many instances in Mindoro before and recently in Quezon, the Philippine National Police leadership acknowledged its powerlessness to interfere with supposed military operations tagged as “Internal Security Operations” or ISO even when civilians are very evident victims of human rights violation arising from such military operations.

The most appalling of all the recent developments, Mr. Speaker, was a series of briefings that the Northern Luzon Command gave to government entities, including the Department of Justice, in relation to the unresolved issues in Hacienda Luisita after the massacre of the striking workers on November 16, 2004.

I have a copy of the briefing which is also in video that identify among supposed personalities of the Communist Party of the Philippines and the New People’s Army who allegedly planned and implemented the workers’ strikes and were allegedly even responsible for the violence that attended the dispersal on November 16, the very man I mentioned earlier, Councilor Abelardo Ladera, who is now lying in state at the plaza of Tarlac City and would be interred tomorrow.

The military action taken against him, in this Representation’s view, is directly related to the implication by the Northern Luzon Command of Councilor Ladera as a member of the New People’s Army. Along with Councilor Ladera, the briefing implicated four of us Party-List Representatives here in Congress in a report related to the strike at Hacienda Luisita in which we Representatives Teodoro Casiño, Rafael Mariano and myself are cited as having gone on November 15 at the strike picket and, I quote the NOLCOM briefing, “urged the workers to continue their strike as one speaker shouted they will pursue their strike even if there will be bloodshed”. And it further says “ that after the incident, the three of us, including Congresswoman Liza Maza of Gabriela, arrived on November 17 and attended the wake of the casualties,” and that we “delivered the invective or incendiary statements against government forces.”

This is a damning accusation against four Members of the House of Representatives, I am aware that the Chief of the Philippine National Police has written to Speaker Jose de Venecia complaining about the “impropriety” that the four of us, Party-List Representatives, have supposedly been responsible for by both agitating the workers to defy the order to return to work of the Department of Labor, of instigating and making publicity out of the massacre. It has been alleged by NOLCOM that all of these actions were in consonance with the broad program of the underground revolutionary movement.

The direct implication, Mr. Speaker, is that the Party-List Representatives are taking command and implementing programs from the CPP-NPA that foment violence. After, the murder of Councilor Ladera on the third of March, this Representation has been receiving a lot of warnings by well-meaning friends to take extra care security precautions because the military are likely to replicate what they did to Councilor Ladera to the Party-List Representatives mentioned in this briefing by NOLCOM, as possible targets of similar armed attacks.

By any cognition or perception, Mr. Speaker, the killings, abductions, and disappearances cannot be but acts of terrorism. The probability, if not the certainty, that these are perpetrated by agents of the State, through its military or paramilitary operatives, makes the situation a larger cause for public concern and for urgent actions to put an end to these atrocities.

I ask, Mr. Speaker, distinguished colleagues, can’t the Thirteen Congress do something about the situation? Or, as happened after the Twelfth Congress hearings, investigations and recommendations, will the situation of killings continue endangering the lives of many of peoples’ organizations and of Party-List Representatives trying their best to give relief to our struggling peasants, workers, urban poor and other marginalized sectors?

This, I submit, Mr. Speaker, is a question that must be directly addressed by Congress. The matter has been brought to the Committee on Ethics; I think it should be more than the Committee on Ethics that must look into the allegations beyond “impropriety” on the part of the four Representative with regard to the Hacienda Luisita strike. The very serious charges of the NOLCOM need to be substantiated, otherwise, there has to be some punitive actions on the military for putting in danger the very lives and the very security of elected Representatives,  namely: Reps. Teodoro Casiño, Liza Maza, Rafael Mariano and this Representation.

I submit, Mr. Speakers, that action is awaited from us in this Chamber. Posted by Bulatlat

8 March 2005 

BACK TO TOP ■  PRINTER-FRIENDLY VERSION  ■   COMMENT

© 2004 Bulatlat  Alipato Publications

Permission is granted to reprint or redistribute this article, provided its author/s and Bulatlat are properly credited and notified.