Bu-lat-lat (boo-lat-lat) verb: to search, probe, investigate, inquire; to unearth facts

Volume 3, Number 2              February 9 -15, 2003            Quezon City, Philippines

Join the Bulatlat.com mailing list!

Powered by groups.yahoo.com

Migrant watch
Jailed Filipinos in Dubai Yearn for Home

BY BULATLAT.COM

Presidential spokesperson Ignacio Bunye said President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo’s recent visit to Kuwait was proof of the president’s concern for overseas Filipinos (OFWs) in the Middle East. Hundreds of jailed and stranded Filipinos in the region however are yet to feel the president’s “concern.” The Philippine government remains deaf to their pleas for help as they yearn to go home and leave a region that will soon be under heavy U.S. military fire.

Filipino overseas workers Jesus Lara, Demetrio Pacifico and Alberto Lopez for example have been languishing in a Dubai jail, the United Arab Emirates since 1998. Detained for theft, they have been given clemency in 2000. They are however required to pay the shop owners of the stores they allegedly robbed. Until they do so, they would remain in jail.

Nancy Pacifico, Demetrio’s daughter, describes in a letter the condition of her father:

“My father is very old now (64 yrs.) and his vision is getting worse. Early in 2002, he had a hernia operation in jail. Before more illnesses arise, I wish that my father be sent home. My mother is also very sickly, and had a near-death operation in April 2000. I only want our family to reunite again before one of them passes away. Before my mother had an operation, she asked for help from Ambassador Amable Aguiluz III. He promised to help but nothing happened… He (my father) told me that there are lots of other Filipinos detained in Dubai Central jail that are supposed to be out already, but don’t have the money to pay the tanasil (a fine paid to the aggrieved party).”

According to the Asia-Pacific Mission for Migrants (APMM), a regional institution working for rights and welfare of migrants in Asia-Pacific, there are similar cases in other Middle East countries. It says that there are in fact over a hundred male Filipino migrants stranded in Saudi Arabia because of abuses and labor related issues with their employers.

”Their situation is like that of the 200 OFWs in Kuwait,” said APMM in a press release. “The President herself unjustly tagged them as violating their employment contracts when in fact the Philippine Labor office in Kuwait itself … described these workers as absconding from their sponsors and/or placement agencies for a wide range of complaints from non-payment of salary, to maltreatment and sexual abuse.”

”We urge President Macapagal Arroyo to immediately ensure that Mr. Lara, Pacifico and Lopez and similarly situated Filipinos and all stranded workers in Saudi Arabia and the Middle East be sent home immediately before the outbreak of war in Iraq without any conditions.”

It scored how the president’s “concern” only came out in the eve of the U.S. attack against Iraq “which she herself ironically supports.” Bulatlat.com 

We want to know what you think of this article.