Bu-lat-lat (boo-lat-lat) verb: to search, probe, investigate, inquire; to unearth facts

Volume 3,  Number 27              August 10 - 16, 2003            Quezon City, Philippines

Outstanding, insightful, honest coverage...

Join the Bulatlat.com mailing list!

Powered by groups.yahoo.com

A Story of Survival

Isa lang ang pinapangarap ko, makapag-aral ang mga anak ko dito sa PUP (I only dream of one thing, that my children be able to study here in the Polytechnic University of the Philippines),” said Mario Ramirez who used to work as janitor in the said univeristy. But last year, Ramirez lost his job and when his wife Aida lost hers last July, his hopes of fulfilling his dream for his children has almost totally vanished.

BY RONALYN OLEA
Bulatlat.com

While Mario was fired for allegedly complaining against agency policies, Aida was among the 120 janitors who lost their jobs after a new agency took over the janitorial services in PUP. Unlike previous agencies, the Mega Allied Maintenance Services Agency which won the bidding, refused to absorb the workers and allowed them to work for only 10 days. On July 12, the agency told all the workers that they failed to pass the screening.

Ramirez family

Mario and Aida have three children, the youngest being one year and eight months old.

Aida had been working for two years and a half as a janitress. As the only breadwinner, Aida worked eight hours a day. Like her co-workers, she was tasked to clean a whole wing of the main building with an average of 14 rooms and four comfort rooms.

To meet the needs of her family, she also worked as a freelance manicurist to earn a few extra bucks.  But now, her sideline has become her main source of income.

“Noon, kahit lugaw meron. Ngayon, wala na kahit ano,” said Mario.  They usually eat with the protesters in the picket line, which the dismissed workers have put up.  Their children sometimes have their dinner at his sister-in-law’s place.  

Out of work but fighting: Laid-off janitor Mario Ramirez 
with one of his children at the picket line.     

Asked about their children’s schooling, Mario said, “Nakakapasok sila kahit walang baon.  Nagtitiyaga.” (They go to school even without allowance.  They persevere in their studies.)  Their children Chris and John are on their fifth and third grade at the P. Burgos Elementary School.

Mario admitted though it would be difficult for his children to even finish high school.

Nanay Ising

Felicita Quierrez, or Nanay Ising as what PUP students call her, had worked as a janitress in PUP for 10 years.  

When told by Mega Agency that she did not pass its screening, Nanay Ising complained that no evaluation was shown them.

“Ilang taon na kaming nagtatrabaho rito. Noong kinuha ko ‘yung pay slip ko para sa sampung araw, ang nakalagay OJT” (We have been working here for many years.  When I got my pay slip, I found out they considered my work as on-the-job training), related Nanay Ising.

She said that it has been a practice for every new agency to absorb 100 percent of the workers.  Only the Mega Agency did not do so.

"Buti ako, isa na lang ang pinag-aaral ko.  Paano ang mga katulad ni Mario?” (I am fortunate, I only have one daughter who is still studying.  How about the likes of Mario?), Nanay Ising said, fighting back tears.

Nanay Ising said she found that the new agency violates the minimum wage policy.  A worker receives P955 only for a 12-day work or P79.58 per day.  

Dismissed janitors survive with the help of student and faculty supporters 

Survival

Nanay Ising said they draw inspiration from the support of the students and faculty members.  Some of the teachers, she said, hold their classes in the picket line. Every lunch break, student organizations hold a program to solicit the support of the students.  Nanay Ising said money literally rains down on them, as students throw money down from the upper floors.

Mario and Aida and their family, and Nanay Ising all face uncertain futures. They survive from day to day and could hope that the next day would be better than the last. Bulatlat.com 

Photos by Aubrey SC Makilan

We want to know what you think of this article.