Bu-lat-lat (boo-lat-lat) verb: to search, probe, investigate, inquire; to unearth facts

Vol. IV,  No. 32                               September 12-18, 2004                      Quezon City, Philippines

Outstanding, insightful, honest coverage...

Join the Bulatlat.com mailing list!

Powered by groups.yahoo.com

Health Workers, Patients’ Kin Decry Low Health Budget

With only 38 centavos allocated for the health of each Filipino every year, the burden has fallen on patients, doctors and health workers.

BY RONALYN V. OLEA
Bulatlat

Dory Robete is a social worker assigned to the Tondo Medical Center, a government hospital in Manila. Recently, a frustrated patient hurled a flower vase at her because she told the patient that the government could no longer give free medicines.

The teary-eyed Robete faced reporters in a press conference of Kilosbayan Para sa Kalusugan (KbK or People’s Health Action) last week and denounced the low health budget allocation that has put people like her in bind. KbK is a broad coalition of health organizations and institutions promoting people’s health,

But not only health workers like Robete but also patients decry the meager budget for health.  At present, the government spends P0.38 for the health of every Filipino. For 2005, it is likely to dwindle further to 32 centavos. From P10.8 billion this year, the proposed budget for health next year is only P10.3 billion.

Thus, even poor patients in government hospitals now have to pay for medicine and hospital services such as laboratory tests.

“In my 25 years of service, ngayon ko lang narinig sa isang pasyenteng sabihan akong walang kuwenta” (This is the first time that I’ve been told by a patient that I was useless), Robete said. “Napakahirap para sa amin na wala kaming magawa.” (It is so difficult that we can do nothing about it.)

Survey

A survey conducted by KbK reflects the urgent need to give priority to public health service. Covering 13 government hospitals and conducted from Aug. 31 to Sept. 2, the survey showed that 72 percent of the 553 patients said they have no means to pay for their medical needs. Sixty-seven percent do not have jobs. They solicit money from relatives and politicians. Many are forced to borrow money.

Patients also have to wait for three to seven days before being admitted to the hospital. They usually do not have the money to get into the pay ward or there is no vacant space at the charity ward.   

The professional fees for doctors also range from P1,000 to P10,000. 

Doctors’ view

On the other hand, Laurence Geronga, a resident physician at the Tondo Medical Center, told of how difficult it is for doctors to see their patients dying.

Geronga said that because of limited funds, public hospitals also lack equipment. “Kung maa-admit sa charity ward, may bayad din pati suwero, bulak, plaster. Pag wala talagang pambayad, minsan pinapatakas na lang namin.” (If ever they’re admitted to the charity ward, they have to pay for the cotton, plaster. Sometime we just allow those unable to pay to escape.)

Because of this, said Geronga, many poor people go to hospitals only when their conditions are already critical. “Ako nga, kulang sweldo ko para sa dialysis ng magulang ko. Paano pa kaya ang mga simpleng magdidiyaryo at magbobote?” (My own salary is not even enough for my parents’ dialysis. How much more in the case of the lowly newspaper and bottle collectors?) 

Cases

Also at the Kilosbayan press conference were Floro Jumola, a driver whose three children are undergoing treatment at the National Kidney and Transplant Institute (NKTI); and Fely Macamay, whose nephew died of pneumonia at the Gat. Andres Bonifacio Hospital in Tondo, Manila because their family could not afford the medicines needed by the infant.

Jumola said their family has to spend P2,000 a week for every child’s dialysis, and P6,000 a month for every child’s medicines.

Tuwing gigising ako, iniisip ko, pang-dialysis ng mga anak ko. Pag pumalya nang isang linggo, minamanas naman…Wala kaming magawang mga magulang.” (Whenever I would wake up, I rake my brains about where I would get budget for my children’s dialysis. They suffer complications if they miss even a week’s session. We parents are unable to do anything.)

Bakit gano’n? Ang mahihirap kahit nagmamakaawa na sa mga pamupublikong ospital, hindi pa rin nagagamot,” (Why is it like that? The poor are not treated even when they plead for mercy in government hospitals), lamented Macamay. “At pagkamatay niya, pera pa rin kailangan para mailabas siya.” (And when they die, they would still need money to be let out.)

Business

Emma Manuel, president of the Alliance of Health Workers (AHW), explained that under the Macapagal-Arroyo government, health services are considered business. “Dati, maluwag na naibibigay ng pasyente ang P5 donation.  Ngayon, may amount na ang bawat serbisyo.  May 20 porsyento pang tubo.” (Before it was easy for the patients to give donations, which amounted to only P5. Today there’s a corresponding amount for every service, and with a 20-percent profit.)

All these weigh heavily on the patients of government hospitals, who are usually too poor to pay for medical services.

Manuel hit the continuous implementation of the 1999 Health Sector Reform Agenda, which promotes cut-downs on public health subsidies under the guise of “fiscal autonomy” for government hospitals.  She said the policy aims to corporatize public hospitals.

Wrong priorities

Dr. Darby Santiago, secretary-general of the Health Alliance for Democracy (HEAD), said the Macapagal-Arroyo government has wrong priorities.

The proposed National Expenditure Program for 2005 allots P695 billion for debt servicing and only P10.3 billion for public health. Cause-oriented groups and nationalist economists have opposed the prioritization of debt servicing for years, saying most of the country’s debts did not benefit the people.

Santiago said that even if a government is confronted with fiscal crisis, health services should be the last to be ignored. He said it is immoral for the government not to provide social services, and even more immoral to impose new taxes.  Sa pambayad-utang din naman dadalhin ang pera ng mamamayan.” (The people’s money would go to debt servicing anyway.) Bulatlat

We want to know what you think of this article.