Bu-lat-lat (boo-lat-lat) verb: to search, probe, investigate, inquire; to unearth facts

Volume 3,  Number 30              August 31 - September 6, 2003            Quezon City, Philippines

Join the Bulatlat.com mailing list!

Powered by groups.yahoo.com

9-11- New Books, Videos, the Growing Movement for Truth and Accountability

by Carol Brouillet

Back to Alternative Reader Index   

With over 100 books written on the assassination of J.F.K., it is hardly surprising that numerous books are being written about 9-11, many videos are being produced, and the research and the mobilization of people, determined to discover the truth about what really happened, why, and to hold those responsible accountable, continues to grow.

Over a year ago, a group of us began working on a film about 9-11. Then Guerrilla News Network interviewed me protesting General Myers in San Francisco, and gave me a sample DVD of their work, and revealed that they were working on a documentary on 9-11. I ,then, shifted my film-making efforts to supporting their work- Aftermath- Unanswered Questions from 9-11, which we began showing in its many evolutions from September 2002, the edited rough cut, to the final version. In January 2003, we showed it outdoors in the San Francisco Civic Center after a big anti-war rally, where it was very well received; a second outdoor attempt to screen it after the day of largest international anti-war rallies in history in February was shut down by the police who informed us it was illegal to screen without a permit… On April 21st, we rented the prestigious Herbst Theatre (which holds nearly 1000 people) adjacent to the Civic Center, we filled the theatre (had to turn away 300 people)… and received a standing ovation.

The event, preceded and followed by receptions with Guerrilla News Network, Michael Ruppert,Peter Dale Scott, Riva Enteen included a panel discussion moderated by Barrie Zwicker (producer of The Great Deception). GNN managed to film the panel, and the Question and Answer session to include in the latest incarnation- video/DVD of Aftermath (which I must admit, I haven’t had time to see, despite my heavy involvement in organizing and publicizing later screenings.)

*I must also admit that I haven’t seen Michael Ruppert’s – The Truth and Lies About 9-11 (although I’ve heard him give his presentation, in person, a couple of times, and I’ve distributed over 100 of the videos- some to people who couldn’t get into the sold-out theatrical screenings of the video at the Red Vic in San Francisco.) I have heard that the video could be seen 3 times, and that notes should be taken, as it contains a wealth of information, and has had a tremendous impact upon the ever increasing number of supporter’s of Mike’s vital research. It’s basically one of his earlier lectures on 9-11, 138 minutes, with clips which include Representatives Ron Paul and Cynthia McKinney).

I have come to the conclusion that “the definitive video” on 9-11 has yet, to be made- we still DON’T KNOW what really happened. We do know that the government/corporate press lied about what happened and are engaged in a massive cover-up. Some brilliant, outstanding, research has been done by a number of people exploring different aspects of a large, complex, “special operation” which has government finger-prints all over it, but we have yet to put together all the pieces of the puzzle. The researchers have yet to meet in one place and put their heads together and compare notes/evidence/theories. Ken Jenkins and I have been speaking publicly on 9-11 and are using film clips from a number of documentaries to give an overview of our own understanding of what happened, and what we can/should, do with our understanding/ information, to expose the “Big Lie” and rein in those behind “Terrorism, War and the bid for Global Dominance, Control of Resources, and the Institutionalization of a Police State.”

Barrie Zwicker’s pathbreaking documentary “The Great Deception” (40 minutes) which was the first televised challenge to the official narrative and aired in Canada in early 2002, is an extremely thoughtful, well produced, provocative, informative overview of the primary questions. We’ve shown this documentary at Teach-Ins and to people who have never even thought of questioning the official narrative. Barrie has added a new segment entitled “Fake Events” about the ruses government’s use to get support for their wars. ( Ken Jenkins feels that the wealth of historical information is what convinced him to speak out publicly and to “break the War Game once and for all.” With 9-11, they simply went too far, were too sloppy, and it is an opportunity for us to expose the inhuman, criminal lengths to which the Power Elite will go to orchestrate wars which further their interests.)

Daniel Hopsicker’s “Mohamed Atta & the Venice Flying Circus” is an investigative journalist’s on site investigation of the background of the alleged hijackers and the Flight School in Florida where they received their training. This documentary shatters the “cover-story” of the Islamic extremists on a suicide mission under Bin Laden’s orders myth. This 60 minute video focuses rather exclusively on one aspect of the story, and it raises more questions than it answers about who was financing this, from where…?

Painful Deceptions is a 2 hour video/DVD supplement to the book “Painful Questions.” Both book and video review the photographic evidence surrounding the collapse of the World Trade Center and the attack on the Pentagon. Eric Hufschmid, who writes software, runs his software for machine shops business out of his home, and is not a professional filmmaker, has nevertheless done a great job of meticulously analyzing the available photographic evidence that suggest that it was a missile, rather than a plane, which hit the Pentagon, and that it was explosives, rather than airplanes which brought down the towers and building number 7 of the World Trade Center. He cracks a lot of jokes in the video, and speculates a bit about what happened, and I certainly don’t agree with him on every aspect of his analysis, but he has done everyone a service in compiling the book and video which examine evidence completely overlooked and ignored by others.

September 11, 2001: Cover-Up or Complicity? by Jeremy Wright features Barrie Zwicker and Michel Chossudovsky. This is basically a recording of a presentation at the 2002 People’s Summit which countered the G8 Summit held outside of Calgary last year. Michel Chossudovsky’s exposure of Bin Laden, Al Qaeda as C.I.A. assets and the key links behind the “Money man behind 9-11” and top U.S. officials are the “smoking guns” (along with the military standdown) which prompted me to march on my senators demanding an investigation of 9-11 in January 2002. The tape has the feel of a classroom lecture, though, with a couple of highly produced segments from Barrie’s television programs.

911- The Road to Tyranny (146 minutes) and Masters of Terror(2 hours) by Alex Jones is more melodramatic, lively, and controversial. Alex is a Christian radio/television talk show host in Austin, Texas who puts in incredibly long hours exposing government wrongdoing. He has done a number of videos which he encourages everyone to copy and disseminate. Masters of Terror includes a segment aired in July 2001, where Alex tells folks to call the White House and Congress to tell them “We know you’re up to something, and if any terrorist attacks occur in the U.S., if any planes crash into any buildings, like the World Trade Center; we’ll know you were behind it!”

While the progressive Left, has ignored events like Waco, the Oklahoma City bombing, and the first World Trade Center bombing, the right has found much evidence of U.S. complicity to further the construction of a police state. While Alex sometimes gets his facts wrong (like mistaking Senator Boxer for Senator Feinstein), he unearths a lot of information which deserves scrutiny and gives me hope that the truth about 9-11 will bring right, left, and center together to halt those at the top, who are abusing power at the expense of the vast majority of people, in violation of the most basic, commonly shared, human values.

Aftermath-Unanswered Questions from 9-11 (35 minutes) is (now) a highly produced video featuring a range of voices- from Mike Ruppert, Alex Jones, Peter Dale Scott, Riva Enteen, Nafeez Ahmed to John Judge and Mary Schiavo addressing eleven major questions. With Paris narrating, original music, and a pulsing background beat, it grabs the attention of the MTV generation, but for those who are completely unfamiliar with this material, sometimes the music and graphics are a bit distracting from the stunning information, revelations, that are condensed into powerful narration and sound bites. The final “What can we do?” questions responses are less intense, almost rambling, and at times bypass the question and allow the speakers to articulate their key points. The film has been criticized for not going far enough, and allowing Soros to appear “benevolently concerned about the chill on democracy underway.” Despite it’s imperfections, it has been the best tool we have had to raise the very important questions publicly, and foster dialogue on a taboo subject. When we organized the big premiere screenings in the Bay Area, we made 5000 giant movie posters to plaster all over the city (as well as in the Symphony Hall, the City Box Office- where the full spectrum of society could view them). We wanted them big so that we could post the questions to public view-

To what extent should airlines have been prepared for 9/11?

What did the Bush administration know and when?

Why wasn’t the US military able to intercept the hijacked planes?

How did the administration respond to the failures of the military and Intelligence agencies on 9/11?

What ties, if any, did the US government and Intelligence agencies have with the terrorists or their supporters?

Were there plans for a war in central Asia prior to September 11?

Is there an underlying motive, besides the War on Terror, for the US military presence in Central Asia?

Is there any historical evidence to suggest that the government may have used the 9/11 attacks to justify its war in Central Asia?

How has the government's reaction to the terrorist attacks affected the rule of law in the United States?

How has recent legislation like the PATRIOT ACT and the Homeland Security bill affected the lives of American people?

What can we do?

Everyone is encouraged to show this film in September to counter the pro-Bush propaganda film that will be coming out at that time. (If you need posters, I still have 2500 that need homes…) The DVD also contains more extended interviews with the researchers, plus forty minutes of the panel and Q & A from the San Francisco showing.

Anthony J. Hilder’s Illuminazi 9-11 is done in a somewhat melodramatic style with puns galore, and images from the Third and rising Fourth Reich. Hilder has been researching the Power Elite for 25 years and has the scars to prove it, if you ever meet him, and wonder why he’s still alive. In this Orwellian world, I find myself unable to watch the news without cringing; Hilder’s work which seems so melodramatic and a far cry from the “ordinary world” that most people think they live in, still contains nuggets of information, and challenges the crafted façade that most people accept at face value, but I’m afraid the style is one which reeks of “satire” and is hard to take seriously- even if it is true!

Wat Tyler’s Revenge, by Shadow Government TV (27 minutes), includes two of Guerrilla News Network’s great pieces- The War Conspiracy, S-11 Redux, a splicing of the footage from the Booker Elementary School where Bush was with the kids while the events in New York were unfurling, with clips of powerful testimony from the victim’s families, and footage from the Fireman’s documentary which chronicled the initial attack and response. Some of the footage is from the Unanswered Questions Press Conference in DC June, 2002. This could be a major eye-opener for those who haven’t already seen all that footage elsewhere- it’s brevity is a blessing, as the lengthy videos- few have time and patience to sit through…

As for the books, The War on Freedom- How and Why America was Attacked, September 11, 2001, by Nafeez Ahmed is a great analysis, well documented which I highly recommend.

There is a new book out with a similar title- The War on Freedom- The 9-11 Conspiracies by Jim Marrs. It is well written and has some excellent information which I hadn’t read elsewhere, but Jim has written extensively on “conspiracies” and throws in some weird stuff which invites the reader to dismiss the entire book. At times he distances himself and says some people allege that “blah, blah, blah…” diminishing in importance some of the most compelling well documented evidence I’ve come across. I prefer Ahmed’s book.

War and Globalization- The Truth Behind September 11th, by Michel Chossudovsky, is excellent, very well documented and an easy read. I have the highest respect for Chossudovsky and his work. His website and magazine, Global Outlook are also outstanding. (I just wish I could persuade him to come and speak in the U.S., but he won’t leave Canada).

All Fall Down: The Politics of Terror and Mass Persuasion by William Thomas is a useful overview and analysis, but the book isn’t easy to get- you have to order it from his website or send the author a check or money order (unless an enthusiastic fan happens to buy a bunch of them and offers one to you). I’ve been trying to email and phone the author, without success for months.

" '9/11' " facing our fascist state & what a plot!, by Don Paul is a very easy read (he doesn’t bother with footnotes) which includes everything Don believes to be true (even if their isn’t any evidence beyond an online article…) Don is a friend of mine and has spoken on 9-11 at various events, but I must admit I cringe at moments when he starts talking about bloodlines, because I’m afraid most people will write him off as a “conspiracy nut.”

Alice in Wonderland and the World Trade Center Disaster- Why the official story of 9/11 is a monumental lie by David Icke is another book which some people will dismiss completely because of David’s “wild stuff.” I hadn’t read any of his previous works and lots of people told me that I should read his work which they agreed with (except the weird shapeshifting reptilian stuff), and I must admit I was very curious about this guy and delighted to receive a review copy of his work to see for myself. He has a huge website and has written many books and lectured all over about “the ruling class,” who has sought to control humanity for thousands of years. It is within this context that he analyzes the events of September 11th, and the key players.

I must say I do have a great amount of respect for David, for having the courage to voice a belief system which is definitely not a popular one, and also for having the courage and energy to physically follow up and investigate the story of what really happened on September 11th and going to the airports, the FBI, and asking questions. He has certainly done more to discover the truth about 9-11 than the so-called “Independent Commission” and “Joint House/Senate Intelligence Oversight Committee” whose mandate is to cover 9-11 up and use it to “strengthen the C.I.A.,” justify “Homeland Security,” and direct blame away from the White House and guilty operatives. Unfortunately, I’m afraid many will simply dismiss Icke’s work because of the larger conspiracy that he keeps referring to (“for details buy my other books…”) which is beyond the realm of “possibility” for most people.

Pentagate by Thierry Meyssan, is the second book by a French author whose photographs, posted on the internet, questioning whether a Boeing hit the Pentagon stunned the world. I read a battered copy, lent to me by an activist who had come all the way from Florida to meet up with 9-11 activists in California; he used the book as his primary tool to convince skeptics through the photos that the 9-11 narrative was an enormous lie. I must say it’s almost breathtakingly stunning in its contents and photos, and includes information about a fire that occurred in the Old Executive Building of the White House, on the morning of September 11th that received almost no publicity. When we were demonstrating against Bush in Burlingame last June, I was also stunned to hear Kevin Danaher of Global Exchange finally start talking about 9-11 and citing Meyssan’s evidence that “no plane hit the Pentagon.” This book definitely should be checked out- I just wish I knew how to get them by the case.

The Party’s Over- Oil, War and the Fate of Industrial Societies by Richard Heinberg, in startling contrast to Icke’s work, this is a very well documented book, which effectively challenges modern myths about the inexhaustible supply of energy. Richard spoke at the Aftermath screening on Earth Day and eloquently described the deeper politics behind the wars over the remaining fossil fuels in the age of diminishing supplies. The harsh truths and choices are not being articulated by our politicians, but Richard clearly delineates them in this extremely timely, important, book.

Drugs, Oil, and War: The United States in Afghanistan, Colombia, and Indochina by Peter Dale Scott is another extremely well documented book which includes an updated version of the banned “War Conspiracy” that Scott wrote during the Vietnam Era which explores the links between the C.I.A. and drug trafficking and geo-politics. This is another huge piece of the 9-11 puzzle and very important to understanding the C.I.A. and U.S. foreign policy.

Consciousness is rising. The peace groups who didn’t want to “think about U.S. complicity” are beginning to come around. The Deception Dollars we created last October have been enthusiastically spread by activists throughout the United States and the world; we’re on our Fifth printing now and over 2,000,000 of them are in circulation; they have been added to the collections of museums, featured on television, in print, included in radio interviews, and passed out to a Rockefeller family gathering. People have also lost their jobs, and been followed for distributing them and other 9-11 materials, but the tide is turning, Bush is losing popularity and his credibility continues to diminish. Thank-God for art, humor, creativity and courage! The movement is growing. Public Forums, Teach-Ins, Film Screenings, Marches and Demonstrations are actively being planned for September. The movement still lies beneath the radar screen of the mainstream press, while headlines reveal the desperate “damage control” efforts of the Bush Administration and the hawkish Democrats. Plans are in the works for a 3 days of special programming on Pacifica Radio to coincide with forums in New York City and throughout the country. There is more and more room for the grassroots, and politicians to speak out, and put a halt to the rampages of the current Administration.

New avenues of research on 9-11 are opening up and new synergies/collaborations developing as relationships/networking occur, and I remain optimistic that the truth will emerge. Ultimately, the vast majority of us, working together, should be able to halt the war profiteers and redirect resources from terrorizing, killing and controlling the planet towards healing, and nurturing healthy relationships between all people and all life.

August 5, 2003

Bulatlat.com

We want to know what you think of this article.