Bu-lat-lat (boo-lat-lat) verb: to search, probe, investigate, inquire; to unearth facts

Vol. IV,    No. 40      November 7 - 13, 2004      Quezon City, Philippines

HOME

ARCHIVE

CONTACT

RESOURCES

ABOUT BULATLAT

www.bulatlat.com

www.bulatlat.net

www.bulatlat.org

Google

Web Bulatlat

READER FEEDBACK

(We encourage readers to dialogue with us. Email us your letters complaints, corrections, clarifications, etc.)

Join Bulatlat's mailing list

DEMOCRATIC SPACE

(Email us your letters statements, press releases,  manifestos, etc.)

For turning the screws on hot issues, Bulatlat has been awarded the Golden Tornillo Award.

Iskandalo Cafe

Copyright 2004 Bulatlat
bulatlat@gmail.com

Kerry, How Dare You!

By Matthew Rothschild
November 3, 2004

Back to Alternative Reader Index

Kerry, How Dare You!

John Kerry gave a lousy, reprehensible concession speech.

Oh, it had its poignant moments, especially when he said, choking up a little, "I wish I could just wrap you up in my arms and embrace each and every one of you individually all across this nation."

But he soon began to ramble, and halfway through, when he should have been done, he mistakenly hit the "play" button on his stump speech. Off he went talking about the little boys who helped raise money for him on the campaign trail, and then he dove into issue after issue, draining every drop of pathos from the occasion.

He never could give a decent speech.

But what was reprehensible about it was Kerry's insistence that his supporters cave.

And I'm not even talking about the question of whether to challenge the Ohio tally.

I'm referring to Kerry's command that we act like good little boys and girls and eat our spinach and work with George Bush.

Amazingly and nonsensically, Kerry said, "In an American election, there are no losers, because whether or not our candidates are successful, the next morning we all wake up as Americans."

What does that mean?

You lost, John. We all lost. Huge. And your fatuousness cannot hide that fact.

Kerry continued his lecture. As Americans, he said, his supporters have an "obligation. We are required now to work together for the good of our country. In the days ahead, we must find common cause, we must join in the common effort, without remorse or recrimination, without anger or rancor."

Hell no!

Common cause with George W. Bush?

Common cause with Dick Cheney?

Common cause with Karl Rove?

Common cause with Donald Rumsfeld?

Common cause with Paul Wolfowitz?

Common cause with John Ashcroft?

We have nothing in common with them. Their cause is not our cause.

For the good of the country, we must resist them.

Kerry said, "We must stand together and succeed in Iraq."

No way!

We will resist this war in Iraq with every nonviolent bone in our bodies.

So don't talk to us about the need "to bridge the partisan divide."

We don't want to bridge it.

And don't be nave. Neither does Bush.

We lost, this time. But we refuse to lay down our principles and sleep
with snakes.

Instead, we will regroup and live to fight another day, and one of these days we will win, not by making common cause with reactionary Republicans, but by convincing a majority of Americans that ours is a better way.

How dare you demand that we join up with Bush!

How dare you demand that we support his war in Iraq!

-- Matthew Rothschild

Bulatlat 

Past Alternative Readers

BACK TO TOP ■  COMMENT

© 2004 Bulatlat  Alipato Publications

Permission is granted to reprint or redistribute this article, provided its author/s and Bulatlat are properly credited and notified.