Indayla added that the photos taken by SPO3 Rangiris show Gregan wearing a green shirt and a denim pants, with his underwear partially shown. When the relatives saw Gregan’s body at the funeral home, he was not wearing a shirt and wore only a pair of camouflage cargo shorts.
Indayla said Col. Felix Castro, deputy brigade commander of the 103rd Brigade, told the mission delegates that he never knew Gregan prior to his death. The officer also said he did not know all the activities of the American troops.
On the other hand, Kay, the team leader of the US forces in Marawi, told the mission that they worked in close coordination with their Filipino counterparts. Kay also told the mission that SkyLink should be the one to answer all questions related to Gregan’s death.
Indayla said that even members of the CHR in Iligan were denied access to the camp. “They [CHR] told us that because the US troops, the military and the police refuse to cooperate with their investigation, they could not come up with a conclusion.”
Sensing foul play, the family requested the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) in Zamboanga City to do an autopsy on Gregan’s body. The result was released March 4.
The autopsy report indicates puncture wounds on Gregan’s right foot, on the left inner part of the leg and on the upper right arm.
Indayla, however, said that the autopsy did not indicate many other things, including Gregan’s enlarged scrotum, the enlarged opening of his anus and injuries on his head.
“They [US soldiers] made him a pet,” Grace said. “They probably played with him.”
Lovella de Castro, Karapatan’s secretary-general who also joined the mission, said they have every reason to believe that Gregan is a victim of a heinous crime.
De Castro said they have already requested the CHR national office to conduct another autopsy on Gregan. The family will also file a complaint before the CHR tomorrow, March 11.
“We call on our government to give attention to this incident, as this involves the death of a Filipino under the employ of US forces, inside the barracks of the foreign troops and within a Philippine military camp,” de Castro said.
De Castro said they would also file appropriate charges against the police and military for “obstruction of justice.”
Indayla said they will ask for the Philippine Congress and Senate to conduct an independent investigations into the incident. “We should have access to the US barracks inside the Philippine territory,” Indayla said.
“Given this new incident, the Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA) must be reviewed all the more,” Indayla added.
Since 2002, the US government has sent in its troops to supposedly train Filipino soldiers in counter-terrorism. Since then, they have made their presence felt not just in Basilan and Sulu but in several areas as well in Mindanao and Luzon. (Bulatlat.com)