Originally posted 11:42 a.m.
Updated 1:20 p.m.
Kontra Daya has called for the suspension of pilot testing of the Voter’s Registration Verification Machine (VRVM), saying it has caused delays in the voting.
By RONALYN V. OLEA
MANILA — Anti-fraud watchdog Kontra Daya has called on the Commission on Elections (Comelec) to suspend the pilot testing of the Voter’s Registration Verification Machine (VRVM), saying it has caused delays in the voting.
The Comelec identified 10 vote-rich areas for the use of 25,000 VCRMs. These include Pangasinan, Nueva Ecija, Caloocan City, Quezon City, Manila City, Cavite, Cebu, Iloilo, Negros Occidental, Davao del Sur and the new Bangsamoro Region.
Kontra Daya recorded seven incidents of malfunctioning Voter’s Registration Verification Machines (VRVMs) in Quezon City and at least 31 cases of errors or failures resulting from malfunctioning vote counting machines (VCMs) nationwide.
Here are some of the reports:
- 4 VRVMs not functioning in Roxas High School in Quezon City. BEI said machines did not recognize log-in details of BEI Chair.
- VRVM not functioning in T. Paez Integrated School in Manila. Comelec Technical Team cannot troubleshoot the problem.
- 4 VRVMs in Judge Juan Luna High School in QC are not working properly. Electoral board switch to manual verification of voters’ in the EDCVL.
- VRVM in precint cluster 326 in Dasmariñas East Integrated National High school, Cavite not working
- All VRVMs in Mabolo Elementary School, Cebu City are not working. Teachers resorted to manual finding of voters’ names in the list.
- VRVMs in 3 precincts in East Bagong Barrio Elementary School, Caloocan City not working. Teachers resort to manual search on EDCVL
- VRVMs in Silangan Elementary School, Caloocan City
- VRVMs in Cielito ES Caloocan City
- Pedro Remoto Elementary School, Negros Oriental
— #14Anakpawis Partylist (@AnakpawisPL) May 13, 2019
Danny Arao, Kontra Daya spokesperson, said the VRVM must be suspended as it causes unnecessary delays in the voting process. “We can afford to have it suspended because it is just pilot testing phase,” he said.
Kontra Daya also monitored malfunctioning of vote counting machines in the following:
- Precinct 1332 Ismael Mathay Senior HS
- Precinct 001A Sto Nino Elementary School, Lumban, Laguna.
- Precinct No. 1289A , Cielito High School, Caloocan City
- Precinct No. 451B, Tondo High School, Manila
- Precinct 3A-3B, 4A, 4B San Manuel, Tarlac
- Precinct No. 25, Ruperto Zubia Elementary School, Baler, Aurora
- Precinct No. 43B Brgy. Bagong Buhay, San Jose del Monte, Bulacan
- Jose Fabella Memorial School in Mandaluyong City
- Maypajo ES, Maypajo HS, Silangan ES, Caloocan City
- Pitogo Elementary School, Makati
Kontra Daya said the malfunctioning of machines resulted in long queues, with some voters opting to go home.