At a time when Filipino families are being told to stay at home, urban poor families in Intramuros said they have not received any relocation program at all. Residents also lamented that the Manila police has been assisting the private company in carrying out the demolition.
The affected residents are now staying in the streets amid the Luzon-wide enhanced community quarantine.
“We hope our politicians learn their lessons and look closely at the plight of the poor. We are Filipinos.”
“I learned from the process that ‘wants’ of these urban poor families are what may be considered as ‘basic’ for those who are considered in the middle class.”
By DEE AYROSO
“Pushing through with the demolition will only add to the number of homeless.”
At Camp Karingal, the police did not even bother feeding the 57 Apollo residents it ‘arrested.’
Urban poor groups are calling for a stop to the demolition of informal settler communities, and to hold former President Benigno Aquino III accountable for the destruction and violence.
For two days recently, violent clashes broke out between the police and informal settlers resisting the demolition of their homes (about 100 families) in a privately claimed lot in Culiat, Quezon City. These were but the latest of similar scenes in the metropolis and elsewhere in the country. Demolition – or the threat of it…
Kadamay said 16 urban poor leaders had been killed under the Aquino administration. The latest victim, Benilda Santos, was shot dead in Quezon City on May 22.
The demolition of homes in North Triangle is among the cases that would be filed against President Aquino in the coming International People’s Tribunal in Washington DC in July.